Sleep disorders prevent you from getting high-quality sleep. When your normal sleeping pattern is disturbed, you’ll usually experience tiredness. But poor sleep quality can also affect your mental health, concentration, and daily functioning.
Common causes of sleep disorders include genetics, anxiety, depression and other mental health problems. Other medical conditions like lung disease, heart disease and nerve disorders and pain may cause sleep disorders. Some people also have poor quality sleep because they consume caffeinated drinks or alcohol, or they keep an irregular work schedule which includes working night shifts.
Sleep Disorder Treatment Center Near Sacramento
If you have symptoms of sleep disorder, you need to visit a sleep disorder treatment center immediately. Some of the signs that you have a sleep disorder include the following:
- Taking over 30 minutes to fall asleep each night
- Waking up several times during the night and finding it difficult to get back to sleep
- Feeling sleepy during the day and having to take short naps often
- Snoring aloud or making sounds that show breathing difficulty
If you live in Sacramento and you have one or more of these symptoms, you need to see a doctor who can treat sleep disorders effectively. We have one of the best sleep disorder treatment centers in the city. At Advanced Psychiatry Associates, we offer comprehensive diagnosis, treatment and medication for sleep disorders and other mental health conditions.
Common Sleep Disorders
Sleep disorders are medical conditions that don’t allow you to sleep normally or enjoy good quality sleep every night. While there are many sleep disorders identified by scientists, the most common types include the following:
- Insomnia. The most frequently reported sleep disorder is marked by difficulty falling asleep or staying awake after sleep is disrupted
- Sleep apnea. A breathing disorder characterized by loud snoring. It’s caused by obstructed breathing while sleeping.
- Hypersomnia. Being unable to stay alert and awake in the daytime.
- Restless leg syndrome. A prickly or tingling sensation in the legs that comes with a strong urge to move them.
- Circadian rhythm disorders. A disrupted sleep-wake cycle that doesn’t allow you to wake up early or sleep at night.
- Parasomnia. Behaving abnormally when falling asleep, during sleep or when you wake up. A good example is talking or walking while sleeping.
If you notice any of these symptoms, you should consult a doctor immediately. We offer a comprehensive all-in-one diagnosis for sleep disorders at our mental health clinic. We’ll offer you a treatment plan that helps you overcome your sleep disorders and start enjoying a better quality of life with renewed vigor for your daily activities.
Sleep Apnea and Insomnia Diagnosis and Treatment
To get a full diagnosis for your sleep disorder, you need to visit a health care provider that can perform a comprehensive medical exam, lab tests and take your medical history. You may also need to use a polysomnogram that studies your sleep patterns and collects data about your body while you sleep at night. Some of the data that this equipment will record includes:
- Heart rate
- Electrical activity of your muscles
- Blood pressure
- Breathing rate
- Movements of your eyes
- Changes in your brain waves
Sleep disorder diagnosis may also examine how fast you fall asleep while taking a nap during the day or if you can stay awake throughout the day.
After a thorough diagnosis, we’ll recommend the best treatment for your specific sleep disorder, which may include:
- Therapy or stress-relieving techniques to eliminate anxiety about having adequate sleep
- Lifestyle changes including proper sleeping habits and good diet and exercise
- Using equipment designed to treat sleep apnea
- Using light therapy early in the morning
- Medication to aid falling asleep at night
Psychiatric Doctors Who Treat Sleep Disorders
Most sleep disorders can be treated effectively. So, you don’t have to continue to hesitate and put off seeing a doctor for your sleep problems. If you live in Sacramento, CA, you can walk into our sleep disorder diagnostic center at any time to receive treatment. We offer treatment for teens and adolescents from the age of 14 years and older. You can pay for treatment through most major health insurance providers, including HMOs, Medicare, worker’s compensation and cash.
Give us a call now to book an appointment for your diagnosis and treatment, or use our live chat to receive help right away. You can also ask questions about our services and your sleep issues or any other mental health issues by completing our contact form.
“I’ve been going here over a year now. I’ve always been treated professionally. Everyone is so nice. My clinicians are courteous and caring. Everyone I’ve dealt with has treated me respectfully while I’ve been learning to deal with my diagnoses. Highly recommend this office!”