Schizophrenia is a life-altering illness that can affect both you as the patient and the people closest to you. To reduce the harmful symptoms of schizophrenia, it’s important to make sure you receive a diagnosis and the proper treatment as soon as you start noticing signs. So whether you’re worried that you or a loved one is displaying symptoms or you’re looking for a new schizophrenia treatment center in the Sacramento and Folsom area, Advanced Psychiatry Associates will provide the care you need.
We offer a wide variety of services, including counseling, medication management, genetic testing and more for mental health patients who are in need. Your mental health and happiness are important to us, so we’ll work with you to develop a schizophrenia treatment that will allow you to take better control of your life.
What Are the Symptoms of Schizophrenia?
The most common time for a person to receive a schizophrenia diagnosis is in their late teens and early 20s — sometimes even as late as their early 30s. Some of the first signs of the illness include a loss of interest and motivation, trouble sleeping, strange thoughts and withdrawal from friends and loved ones.
Schizophrenia has the ability to influence different patients in different ways, to varying degrees of severity. However, for many people who have the illness, it’s still important to get psychiatric treatment for schizophrenia. If left untreated, these signs can worsen into symptoms that greatly affect the patient’s quality of life. Some of these symptoms include:
- Disorganized thinking: Schizophrenia can cause cognitive issues, such as the inability to focus on tasks or the tendency to jump from one subject to another in conversation. A person might also have memory issues, which can make them seem forgetful and scattered.
- Delusions and hallucinations: Some of the most well-known effects of schizophrenia are delusions and hallucinations, which can alter the patient’s sense of reality. Those affected by schizophrenia may hear, see, feel, taste or smell sensations that aren’t there. Similarly, some patients can develop false beliefs — these range from the patient thinking they’re stronger or more powerful than they are to thinking others are trying to hurt or manipulate them.
- Apathy: People who live with schizophrenia sometimes experience apathy, which involves a lack of interest in life or the activities they would otherwise enjoy. They often feel a lack of motivation to complete tasks and find themselves indifferent to daily pleasures. The apathy brought on by schizophrenia is similar to the types of symptoms that depression patients experience.
- Inappropriate emotional expression: Schizophrenia patients commonly deal with emotions in abnormal ways. This includes either failing to respond or responding minimally to major positive and negative events. Other patients can also display inappropriate emotional reactions in situations that usually elicit expressions.
Schizophrenia Treatment in the Greater Sacramento Area
At Advanced Psychiatry Associates, we strive to provide care that will help you and other mental health patients lead happier, more productive lives. Schizophrenia diagnosis and treatment can be a challenging long-term process, but it can also make a major difference in your daily life and the lives of the people you care about.
We know that your priority when looking for a doctor for schizophrenia is finding one you can trust. If you live in the greater Sacramento area, the treatment you need is just a phone call away. We provide a variety of treatment services that can benefit patients with schizophrenia, such as:
- Medication management: If you have a schizophrenia diagnosis, you may need to be on medication to manage your symptoms. As part of your treatment plan, our professionals will prescribe you with the proper medication and put you on a schedule that suits your medical needs.
- Psychotherapy and counseling: Our psychotherapy and counseling services allow you to engage in a healthy open discussion with a medical specialist as you undergo schizophrenia treatment. This method has many mental health benefits for a wide variety of patients, including those with schizophrenia.
- Genetic testing: Our goal is to help you improve your mental health as safely and quickly as possible, which is why our schizophrenia treatment center uses genetic testing to help us prescribe your medication. This helps us determine which medications will be best for you.
Contact Advanced Psychiatry for Schizophrenia Treatment
Once you make the choice to receive schizophrenia treatment, you’re already on your way to better mental health. Contact Advanced Psychiatry Associates and schedule an appointment today!
“I’ve been going here over a year now. I’ve always been treated professionally. Everyone is so nice. My clinicians are courteous and caring. Everyone I’ve dealt with has treated me respectfully while I’ve been learning to deal with my diagnoses. Highly recommend this office!”