Advanced Psychiatry Associates provides therapy for bipolar disorder. Our doctors specialize in bipolar disorder diagnosis and treatment in the Northern and Southern CA regions.
Types of Bipolar Disorder
The broad diagnosis of bipolar disorder breaks down into specific types, each characterized by its own symptoms.
Bipolar I is the most commonly discussed version of bipolar disorder. This type is marked by extreme mood swings, from manic episodes to periods of depression. People with this disorder often find managing daily tasks and relationships difficult.
Mania is a mental health condition characterized by extreme moods and energy levels. Some symptoms include:
- Feeling extremely happy for a long time
- Talking rapidly with racing thoughts
- Feeling restless or acting impulsively
- Losing concentration easily
- Overinflated self-esteem
- Delusions or hallucinations
- Engaging in risky behaviors such as unprotected impulsive sex, engaging in spending sprees or gambling with life savings
Depressive symptoms include:
- Severe fatigue and loss of energy
- Lack of interest in activities that were previously enjoyed
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Difficulty concentrating and memory loss
- Loss of appetite
- Prolonged feelings of hopelessness and sadness
- Attempting suicide or feeling preoccupied with death
Bipolar II is often confused as a milder version of bipolar I — however, it is a completely separate diagnosis. Bipolar II is present when a person experiences depressive and hypomanic episodes but not full manic episodes as described in bipolar I. Those with bipolar II can often experience more drawn-out and severe periods of depression.
Described as a typical factor in bipolar II, hypomania is an energized mood or behavior outside your typical personality. Hypomania is a less severe version of bipolar I mania, often not lasting as long and not significantly interfering with social, work or school functioning.
Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis and Treatment
We conduct a series of tests to determine your symptoms. These usually include the following:
- Physical examination: We conduct a complete physical exam to examine your physcial health
- Mental health evaluation: We evaluate your mental health and look for symptoms of bipolar disorder
- Mood chart or journal: You may need to chart your moods to confirm the signs of this disorder, including telling us how you’re feeling and how long the feelings last
Various bipolar treatment options are available at Advanced Psychiatry Associates, including counseling, medication, psychotherapy and lifestyle changes. Medications will help you stabilize your mood and deal with depression and anxiety disorders.
We also offer a variety of psychotherapy treatments, such as talk therapy, counseling and social rhythm therapy. Further, we implement lifestyle changes to help you manage bipolar disorder by taking manageable steps such as recognizing mood swings and keeping a routine for sleeping and eating.
Is Bipolar Disorder Curable?
While doctors aren’t entirely certain of bipolar disorder’s specific cause, they believe a chemical imbalance in the brain initiates it. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters and are involved in brain functioning.
Norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin are the most common neurotransmitters in the brain, controlling energy, mood and memory. Any imbalance in these chemicals is thought to cause the frequent mood swings characterizing bipolar disorder.
Bipolar disorder is also thought to be genetic. People who develop bipolar often have a genetic connection to depression or bipolar disorder. An individual’s first bipolar episode can be triggered by trauma or addiction as an attempt to break from reality.
As of now, bipolar disorder is not curable but can be significantly improved with treatment. Treatment options for bipolar often involve lifestyle changes along with psychiatry services to best manage symptoms and behaviors.
You can now start incorporating the following lifestyle changes as healthy coping mechanisms for bipolar disorder.
- Consistent sleep: During a manic phase, managing a regular sleep schedule can be challenging. Conversely, depressive episodes can cause prolonged periods of rest. Maintaining consistency by going to bed and waking up at the same times each day can help your body adjust.
- Nutritious diet: Fluctuating neurotransmitter levels and moods can cause individuals to crave sweets or carbohydrates instead of a balanced diet, often leading to health risks. Consuming fruits and vegetables can help someone with bipolar disorder reduce their diabetes or obesity risks.
- Regular exercise: Exercise is a natural mood and energy regulator and has shown significant results for bipolar disorder, encouraging less depressive episodes and healthy management of manic episodes. An individual’s exercise plan can depend on the physical and psychological factors involved with their bipolar disorder.
- Practicing moderation: Individuals with bipolar disorder are often partial to addictive and impulsive behaviors, especially during manic episodes. Awareness of their susceptibility is a good first step, and added accountability from loved ones can decrease the risk.
Diagnosis and Treatment for Bipolar Disorder in Folsom
The first step to managing bipolar disorder is consulting a bipolar diagnosis specialist. Advanced Psychiatry Associates has a complete diagnostic center for patients needing bipolar treatment in Folsom, CA. Before prescribing the best treatment plan and medication, we’ll provide a thorough evaluation.
During your evaluation, our resident bipolar therapist will ask about your feelings, thoughts and behavior patterns. You may fill out a questionnaire or self-assessment. After we get your permission, your close friends or family members may be asked to provide information about your behavior.
Our doctors are highly skilled in treating bipolar disorder and related mental health conditions. You can manage bipolar disorder symptoms effectively with a lifetime treatment plan. Our physicians and therapists can help you manage your symptoms to live a more stable and fulfilling life. This may or may not include medications we’ve found effective, and they could help you balance your mood immediately.
Bipolar disorder requires maintenance treatment even when you’re feeling good. We provide counseling and support to help keep your symptoms under control. Skipping this treatment can cause a relapse of symptoms, and these mood swings can lead to severe depressive episodes.
Meet With California Psychiatrists Specializing in Bipolar Disorders
Bipolar can affect all aspects of your life, including your mood, behavior and energy level. However, seeing a psychiatrist specializing in treating this condition early will improve your chances of managing it effectively. Bipolar disorder is a chronic condition, so it requires treatment for life.
If you want to know where to get bipolar disorder treatment in California, visit Advanced Psychiatry Associates today. We offer a reliable, one-stop medical center for all mental health issues, diagnoses and treatments. We provide mental health services for our patients, including medication management, psychotherapy and counseling for those who are at least 14 years old.
We also offer patient-friendly financing options. You can pay for treatment through major insurance providers, including Medicare and workers’ compensation plans. You may also pay in cash.
For more details about our mental health services or for immediate medical help, please complete our contact form or use our live chat to talk with one of our representatives now. Our mental health professionals are fully prepared to provide the help you need.
“I’ve been going here over a year now. I’ve always been treated professionally. Everyone is so nice. My clinicians are courteous and caring. Everyone I’ve dealt with has treated me respectfully while I’ve been learning to deal with my diagnoses. Highly recommend this office!”